All commercial UAV operators based in the UK have to be registered and approved by the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) by law.
We operate with a Permission for Aerial Work (PFAW) from the UK CAA. This allows us to use UAV's for commercial purposes as long as we comply with the UK regulations. Some of the basics include
- 400ft (120m) maximum flight altitude.
- No operation beyond visual line of sight of the pilot or to a max of 500m.
- No closer than 50m or directly overhead of any person, vehicle or structure not under direct control of the pilot. Reduced to 30m for takeoff and landing. (This means we can get as close as safely possible as long as everyone is under the pilot’s control).
- Permission of the landowner is required for takeoff and landing.
Using UAV’s has many benefits compared to traditional ground-based survey methods and practices.
- Speed: UAV’s can cover a larger area in a fraction of the time of ground-based surveys.
- Efficiency: The data can be captured in detail once and then analysed and reviewed infinitely.
- Measurable: The models can be accurate down to centimetres and measurements such as distance or volume can be generated.
- Safer: Aerial systems make accessing inaccessible or dangerous places much safer with reduced risk.